Ditch it or Donate it?
Getting ready for that dreaded Spring cleaning? If you are like most of us, you dread cleaning out the closet and/or garage. Instead of ditching the clutter, donate it to a worthy cause. Huntsville has many organizations that are giving back to the community by regifting your gently used items you have outgrown or just want to get rid of.
- Cars: Did you know there are a few non-profit organizations that take cars, running or not, as donations? CARS will take your car and give the proceeds back to The Greater Huntsville Humane Society and Cars for Cancer.
- Cell Phones and other electronics: Many charities collect used cell phones and electronic to donate to troops overseas. You might think it’s not useful anymore, but it could be a lifeline back to loved ones here at home. Cell Phones for Soldiers and will accept all types of electronics for soldiers including computers and tablets. Secure the Call is another charity supporting domestic violence victims. Your phone will be used by victims to contact 911 when needed.
- Towels and Blankets: Animal shelters, like The Huntsville Animal Services Foundation use towels and blankets to keep the animals warm and comfortable while in their care. These are typically a much- needed item and most people have old towels and blankets they don’t want anymore.
- Eye Glasses: You might have a few pairs of reading glasses you can’t use anymore because your prescription has changed. Many Optometrists in the Huntsville area will accept donations of used eyeglasses and you can also donate to the Lions Club, a nonprofit that recycles glasses and distributes them to people who can’t afford costly prescriptions.
Should you SELL IT?
If you think it’s worth more to sell it make a separate ‘SELL IT’ pile. If you want or need qick cash then selling it is a great option and you will be de-cluttering at the same time, but only if…
1. It’s worth more than it would cost to organize (list online, hold a garage sale, etc.), and
2. You want to do the work to organize the sale.
Don’t throw it away, donate it! You’ll be helping a great cause and you’ll be de-cluttering at the same time!